Scott Williams NCIS, Asa Fox Colorist

When we went on the show of NCIS this was our first time really being able to talk to a writer. It was also really interesting to actually be able to touch things on the set. When writing an episode I never knew that the writers will collaborate with the Actors on the set. I also never knew that the dead people you see on t.v. most of them are very much alive, they will have people audition to see if they can actually play dead well, because even if you close your eyes you sometimes have uncontrollable rapid eye movement. I also didn't know that writers will get a month vacation, which is less than most people on set. But they still get a whole month off. Being a writer is your own canvas you start with blank pages and really have to have the creativity to pull it all together. Scott also told us you always want conflict in the story, without conflict it will be boring. It was also such an interesting story how he wrote the movie about Earnie Davis, The Express, but got all his credit taking away. I didn't know that on feature films if someone changes more than 60% of your story they can take credit for the whole thing. I found it so intriguing that he didn't let that discourage him from doing what he loves. The biggest take away I got from Scott Williams was to be brave, dont get discouraged if you don't get what you want tomorrow. We all have the intensions we can do what we want and get what we want today. We need patience, there is going to be way more no's than yes coming our way, while we are trying to make it to the top. To always remember there is no crap jobs, so yes that even means me working at Mcdonalds all these years is going to help shape me into the person I am.  But once I hear yes I'm going to appreciate it way more knowing I worked from the bottom to the top.
When meeting Asa Fox I was very interested in meeting him because he is a colorist and since going to California I realized this may be the direction I want to take. He said the way to become a colorist was to work your way to the top. He even said he wish he started lower so he could learn more than he already knows. You need to learn all about other colorist as well as learn from them.  You always want to give the client what they want, even if you don't like the idea. In the field to be a colorist you always want to know a little bit of everything because you can't just wait for someone to die and get to the top. It was also interesting to hear that you want to use social media to connect with other people. Connect with everyone possible. You see someone's work you like follow them and then look for people they are following.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SONY & Technicolor

P.A. BOOTCAMP DAY 1&2

Universal Studios & Sony Animation